Tuesday, November 16, 2010

What Kind of Manager Am I?

According to the leadership/management diagnostic we conducted in class, I am Sd; stable/dominant type of leader/manager. I think the test did evaluate me correctly because it identified many traits that I do possess. For example I am a status quo person. I like routine and I don't like too many changes. If something is working well I am reluctant to try to find an improvement to work even better. Also I do try to create a pleasant environment around me, especially at work environment. I am a loyal person and I very rarely lie to anyone. If there is some misunderstanding or even a fight between people or even when I am involved, I am usually the calm person who try to calm the people and find a solution that works for everyone.
However, I do not agree with the letter d which I got because I think that I do not possesss many traits of the described dominant personality. I think the influental/creative personality describes me better. This diagnostic test is helpful in describing what "type" of manager one is, but we should always be cynical about these results because they cannot be 100% correct. This test can reveal some interesting facts about someone's personality.

4 comments:

  1. I agree that though this type of test may point out certain characteristics that may be true to us, but is not 100% accurate as I also found on mine being a Dc. Creating a pleasant environment can be a key attribute of a good leader because that just makes work life less stressful. Being loyal is also very important as most people wouldn't want to work for someone who lies to them or gives them false information and tries to deceive their peers. I think this test can reveal a lot about a person though may not be completely accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I'm a D either and DISC said I'm a Dc. I think I'm an Ic. These tests have some kind of alpha or standard of error, I'm sure. That would have been a good question to ask during class. You brought up a good point about being a calm person when dealing with problems; I guess I'm more argumentative so the test might be more right than I'm willing to admit. However being more influential than dominant is something I want to work towards. Based on your entry, this is a trait you seem like you already possess, but I suppose there's always room for improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After knowing you a bit through some group assignments I can tell for sure D does not describe you well. I do think you are stable and for sure SI would describe you better. We have to remember it the DISC test isn't 100% correct but it is a reliable tool to give us some indication

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have only worked with you a couple of times and I think the assessment test identified you right as an S. However, I agree with you in the group activities that we worked together I didn't see you as a D at all. It is helpful to companies to know what kind of managers their potential employees are but it doesn't show the whole characteristic of that person. The disc test is more useful and beneficial in the business setting compared to our daily personal interactions.

    ReplyDelete